Perfume today is not made from flowers but from toxic chemicals. It's about as romantic as hazardous waste.
More than 4,000 chemicals are used in fragrances. Of these, 95% are made from petroleum.
No agency regulates the fragrance industry, yet perfume chemicals are as damaging to health as tobacco smoke.
Toluene, ethanol, acetone, formaldehyde, limonene, benzene derivatives, methylene chloride, and many others known to cause cancer, birth defects, infertility, nervous system damage, or other injuries. The EPA found chloroform as well in fabric softeners.
Toluene was found in every fragrance sample collected by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for a 1991 report. "Toluene was most abundant in the auto parts store as well as the fragrance section of the department store." Toluene has been proven to cause cancer and nervous system damage and is designated as hazardous waste.
There is a dramatic increase in people who are made sick by fragrances because so many products are now scented. Babies and children are even more vulnerable, as are people who are trying to recover from cancer and other illnesses.
Chemical fragrances are present in most laundry detergents, fabric softeners, anti-cling products, dish-washing liquids, disinfectants, soaps, shampoos and other hair products, deodorants, cosmetics, suntan/sunscreen lotions, aftershaves, colognes, incense, analgesic creams, and lip balms. Even products marked "unscented" often are falsely labelled and actually contain toxic fragrances.
Using environmentally-safe products is as important as recycling. If everyone stopped buying unsafe, chemically-scented products, companies would stop making them, ending a lot of unnecessary pollution.
Exposure to scented products can cause exhaustion, weakness, "hay fever" symptoms, dizziness, difficulty concentrating, headaches, rashes, swollen lymph glands, muscle aches and spasms, heart palpitations, nausea, stomach cramps, vomiting, asthma attacks (inability to breathe), neuromotor dysfunction, seizures, and loss of consciousness.
MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities) is caused by overexposure to toxic chemicals. Even if you don't feel the effects yet, your health is still being damaged, and you will develop MCS or other illnesses if you continue to be exposed to toxic chemicals.
If you aren't already sick from chemical exposure and you're still using scented products, do you want to gamble on how much longer you have before your body can no longer cope with the toluene and other poisons in them?
DON'T LET YOUR INABILITY TO ELIMINATE ALL TOXINS FROM YOUR LIFE STOP YOU FROM DOING WHAT YOU CAN. If you are still healthy, efforts you make now can help you prevent getting chronically ill or getting MCS yourself. And you will save money by not using products that are unnecessary.
If you have a fireplace or wood-burning stove,
don't use synthetic logs. Even though they're advertised as
environmentally safer, they emit chemical fumes when burned. Don't
burn plastic, cardboard, magazines, newspapers, or anything but
clean, untreated dry wood.
Fabric softeners, anti-cling products, disinfectants, other strongly-scented products, and most detergents have toxic ingredients. If you use hair mousse and gels, hairspray, or chemically process your hair, it will need many washings with a safe shampoo and the passage of time before you can be around someone with MCS without making them ill. What may seem a mild fragrance to you can be excruciatingly toxic to someone with MCS.
Listed on the "Guidelines for Non-toxic Living" page are a few of the many safer products available. Some products are available in local health-food stores or from mail-order stores, such as NEEDS (1-800-634-1380).
NOTE: Ask friends with MCS which products are safe for them. The products each of us can tolerate vary from person to person.
For more information, please see the "MCS Resources" page.
NOTE: The information provided on this page is based on the pamphlet, "No Perfume Means Healthier Air", distributed by "Breath of Fresh Air" - used by permission.